Old Fashioned Shower
One of the things I find to be incredibly relaxing is comprised of a confluence of simple events. A reward at the end of an earned day, if you will. Not exorbitant or expensive, but simple things, done well.
Take, for example, the old fashioned cocktail.
It is probably my favorite bourbon-based drink, because it is an entire experience for me. I enjoy sourcing the materials, the crafting of it, the stirring down, and the way the flavor and texture changes over time.
One of my absolute favorite ways to find down a summer night is like this. Following an evening workout, I will come home and get ready to shower and get cleaned up. But, before I fall into the shower, I mix an old fashioned, making sure to take my time on each step, and make sure all the components are right.
I will take a sip, and only one sip, and then put it down.
Then I'll go take a shower.
That initial burst of familiar flavors, and maybe the slightest bit of buzz if I have an empty stomach, is the perfect way to then immerse into the hot water and steam. All the while, I will be thinking with anticipation about what that 2nd sip will taste like. It is the intentional build of anticipation, combined with the relaxation that comes from the hot water cooling my sore muscles, that makes it a perfect combination.
Labels: bourbon

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home