What is your name?
I came across this little video snippet from a woman who offers tremendous insight about the name of Naomi in the book of Ruth.
The implication is that Naomi felt like her given name, which means "beautiful," no longer applied to her, and that she should be known by a new name, Mara, which means "bitterness."
The emotion was entirely real - Naomi had lost her husband and both sons, was destitute, and her bloodline and very name itself would die with her.
As John Piper has noted in the past, "you cannot persuade a depressed person that he is not reprobate if he is utterly persuaded that he is. But you can stand by him."
Emotions are real. And sometimes, they are true. Naomi's emotions about her life and situation were certainly real, and she wanted her name to reflect that, perhaps out of despair or even spite. God did not acquiesce to this emotion. He remained faithful and steadfast to Naomi, even when she felt like God had dealt bitterly with her and she would be abandoned. The name "Mara" is never mentioned again in the rest of the book. Only God's name for her - "Beautiful" - is attributed to her. God's faithfulness toward Naomi never changed.
Although the video is focused on those with gender dysphoria, I think the takeaway from this speaks to anyone who is going through a season in life that makes them question their self worth. Even the now-common term "impostor syndrome" plays into the idea of our identity and what it means when we question it. We feel unworthy.
Yet Jesus loves us anyway. He never gives up on his elect.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. - John 14:3
Labels: Ruth

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home