The Saga Begins
With Star Wars: The Force Awakens but a mere month away, I figured it was a good time to sit down with my Jewel, now 11, and work our way through the Star Wars canon and break it down, just like I remembered doing in AP English so many moons ago.
I decided that we would watch the movies in the following order:
IV: A New Hope
V: Empire Strikes Back
I: Phantom Menace
II: Attack of the Clones
III: Revenge of the Sith
VI: Return of the Jedi
Why this order? I read one viewer's analysis, and it made sense if you think about the story with Luke as the main character, not Anakin. In this order, we meet Luke, we get to the point where we discover who his father is, and then do an extensive flashback to explain the backstory. We then move back to present time, which gives the final encounter all the more weight, because we understand the antagonist's story.
Anyway, back to the story. Well, the story about the story.
The movie starts, the music plays, and...what the what? We've skipped ahead to the scene where the Empire is boarding the rebel alliance shuttle.
Me: What happened?
She: I jumped ahead to the action.
Me: Why did you skip the opening crawl?
She: I already know what's going on.
Me: Hrrmmmmm....ok, so what's going on?
She: Well, Luke is going to be....
Me: NOOOOOOO!!!! Luke hasn't even been introduced yet!
She: Ok, well Anakin is the bad guy and...
Me:
We don't even know who Anakin is yet!
She: Umm....
Me: That's it, rewind it! (A kind of funny statement, if you think about it)
She: To the beginning?
Me: Yes, to the beginning. You're going to read the entire crawl text.
She: Ok, fine.
Me: So what does it say?
She: I don't know, it's moving and stuff.
Me: Then pause it! This is important!
She: Something, something, death star. There you go.
Me: If you don't focus fast, I'm going to make you provide a key word outline for me.
She: [..]
Me: Why are you crying?
Labels: Star Wars

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home