Full vs Empty
In Reston, VA, there is a shopping plaza that I have frequented for over 15 years. Within this plaza, a ubiquitous Barnes & Noble has resided for who knows how long. In my early years of marriage, it was a spot my wife and I frequented often, to study, read, or meet with friends.
I drove by this specific locale the other day and noticed that the B&N was no longer there. In its place? The Container Store.
How curious it is, how metaphorical, how symbolic, that a building representing a 100 year old business model that allowed anyone to enter and consume the contained collected knowledge of history and imagination, has been replaced by a store whose specialty is to provide us more ways of storing all of the junk we collect. The product for sale has changed from fulfilling knowledge potential to something whose primary virtue is literally empty.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home