The Challenge of Kids and Star Wars
There are now two generations of adults who have grown up with Star Wars. The Star Wars universe is as iconic and integrated into American psyche and pop culture as any phenomenon, and you could probably argue is the single most influential cultural element to cross-generational Americans. Since my Jewel is growing up, the grand question is beginning to surface. No, not whether I will let her watch it; the fact that we will watch it together is a given, a foregone conclusion. Rather, the question is, in what order do we watch the movies?
A friend commented to me recently that in our current age, there are very, very few things that can act as a true surprise to us. As we get older, those few things become smaller and smaller. So, the argument goes, with a completed story arc that describes the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, is it not wise to allow your children to watch his saga unfold chronologically?
On the other hand, is it not also worth consideration that your child allow the story to unfold the same way it unfolded for you?
I asked my Beloved what she thought, and of course her argument was that our Jewel shouldn't watch them at all. I retorted by saying that she didn't have any basis for that argument, since she had never seen them. "Oh yes I did!" she replied.
Oh really? Then please give me five basic plot points from any part of the series.
Her answers:
- The girl's name is Layla.
- Layla marries Luke Skywalker.
- Dark Vader is the bad guy.
- Attila the Hunt is a big green monster.
- There is a character in a furry dog suit played by Jim Carrey.
I rest my case.
And I still don't know which order we will watch them.
Labels: growing up, Star Wars

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home