Sunday, November 21, 2010

I See Her Face

In the morning, before the day breaks,
She sneaks in;
I pretend not to hear her, she pretends not to wake me.
My eyes stay shut;
She pries them open.
I see her face,
hungry for nourishment.

Leaving for work,
She runs to the door.
She is not ready for me to leave.
Sadness covers her.
"Can't you work from home today?"
Which means no work at all, truly.
I see her face,
longing for me to stay.

Late afternoon,
my office phone rings.
"Daddy!" She cries,
Are you coming home early?
Sadly, I still have work to do,
I say to her, sensing her heart fall.
I see her face,
Excitedly wondering how long 30 minutes really lasts.

My key turns the lock.
A muffled voice is heard,
"Daddy's home!"
And feet run to the door.
Hugs and kisses,
Followed by her grabbing my bag.
She knows something is inside for her.
I see her face,
Exhaling with relief that I'm home.

It is dark now,
Stories have been read.
Prayers have been petitioned,
Lights have darkened.
"Stay with me for five minutes!" she pleads.
"Two," I respond.
"No, ten!" she negotiates.
She wins.
I see her face,
The day's energy fading from her.
She is secure. She is loved.
She smiles.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home