Monday, March 29, 2010

Bravery

My little Jewel has for the majority of her short life been terrified of animals. It doesn't matter if it is a dog, a cat, a bird, a squirrel, or a mouse. If one comes near her, she has always had a peculiar and visceral reaction to immediately get away. If we're out walking and a dog passes by, she climbs up onto my head as if she were a cat.

So it was with this in mind that I have always sought to ease her fears of animals. My greatest concern is that we would be out and about and, with an animal approaching, she would lose her sense of place and react, inadvertently putting herself in harm's way. It is with great joy that I can now be encouraged that she is starting to conquer this fear.

We were visiting a close friend at her home, and they happened to be taking care of a small dog, the kind that could easily fit in your arms. For a period of time, she begged that the dog be kept in the basement, behind a closed door. Eventually though, as dogs are wont to do, she wanted to come out to play. I could see the fear well up in my little one's eyes. However, this time I sensed an opportunity to control the situation and help her deal with her fear. I took the pup in my arms and held it close. The dog was docile and just wanted to be held. So I held her, rubbed her ears, scratched her belly. From across the room, I made eye contact with my Jewel. I didn't say anything; I simply motioned her over with my head. My meaning to her was clear - "You are safe, you don't have anything to fear. I will protect you."

Slowly, half-step by half-step, she inched closer. Soon, she was right next to the little dog's head. I showed her how to pet the little dog, telling her how soft the fur was. To my amusement, my Jewel walked around to the other end of the dog (away from those giant teeth!) and cautiously put her hand on the dog's hind quarters. The dog jerked its head around looking to see whose little hand had touched her. Making eye contact with the dog, she momentarily froze. I encouraged her though that she needn't be afraid, and she slowly put her hand back on the dog. I could see her countenance change. What was once fear was transforming into curiosity. I encouraged her to pet the dog's soft nose. The dog twitched its nose at her, and she laughed.

She was growing before my very eyes.

We soon had to leave, but on the way home I effused praise on her, telling her how proud I was of her in conquering her fears.

Baby steps are still steps.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home