Dark Horse
During the course of my evening commutes, I'd often turn to a regional hard rock station to get some driving grooves going to give me the energy to get home. Frequently around the 11:00 hour I would hear this song kick in, with a hard drum line and low end guitar riff. It sounded like an ode to decadence, which apparently never goes out of style. But I could never catch the name of the song or the artist who performed it, until one day, I finally heard enough where they revealed the name of the band:
Nickelback.
Nickelback?
Nickelback.
Derivative, powerballad, pretty rock band Nickelback. Dang.
Ok, well I'm not one to be biased; if a song rocks, it rocks. Even the worst bands can crap out gems from time to time.
But I still didn't know the title, and I thought, maybe I'd consider buying this album because this song does in fact rock pretty hard. So I do the standard googling, and find out the name of the song is "Burn it to the ground." Cool. I'm 2 steps away from looking it up on iTunes. But before that, I look the song up on youtube and see what else might be on the album, and I happen to pull up the video itself to this rockin' song. And about 30 seconds into it, I see this:

Ye gods. Their lead singer Chad Kroeger has gotten a new hairdo that makes him look like the pretty but misunderstood 3rd wheel from "The Simple Life."
I could not have been more shocked if Scarlett Johanssen opened her mouth and started singing like AC/DC.
Apparently, Kroeger opens this song by stating the line, "this song is the theme song of my life." Really. While toiling away on the hardscrabble streets of Hanna, Alberta, Canada no doubt.
Sigh.
Labels: music

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home