Clever...not so clever
I often fancy myself a clever and pugilistic wordsmythe, intersecting conversations with witty idioms to make jokes that only I get. I think it feeds my ego to think that I could make a joke that someone realizes 2 days later - "Oh, wait...I get it now! That funny guy!" Suffice to say, I rest easy in the fact that I believe that I am almost always in command of exactly what I am saying. If a word seems unusual, out of place or terribly mispronounced, there is a good chance I did it on purpose for some hidden but meaningful effect. Which brings us to...
Catharsis: n. "A purification or purgation that brings about spiritual renewal or release from tension."
That's nice. I like that word. I also like the fact that I enjoy things that bring about catharsis - reading, listening to music, playing guitar, spending time with my Beloved, or playing with my daughter.
In fact, I like this word so much that I often will apply its adjective form to various events in life: "That was a cathartic basketball game," or "This dinner with you was a very cathartic experience for me."
I thought I was being erudite. In fact, to quote the immortal Inigo Montoya:
Cathartic
Henceforth, I shall be sticking with the more mundane but less-laxi-centric word, "relaxing."
Labels: words

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home