My Heart is Sad
Another discussion with my little Jewel. We had just ended a long day that was rich with large numbers of family visiting us. There were a number of children there, some older, some younger. She of course wanted to play with everyone. But when she asked if she could play with her older male cousin, a little boy who loves sports, she was rebuffed.
Jewel: Papa, I'm sad.
Me: Why are you sad, my dear?
Jewel: Cameron (her cousin) didn't want to play with me, and I wanted to play with him.
Me: So you're sad that he didn't want to play with you?
Jewel: Yes, my heart is sad.
At this point she started to tear up and there was not much I could say to her to alleviate her sadness. She was feeling the pains of emotion that occur in a fallen world where we have to deal with things like envy and jealousy. But being only 4 years old, some of these emotions are new to her, and she doesn't know what to do with them. All she knew was that a heavy weight was pushing on her heart and it made her sad. And so I sat holding her, and shared in her sadness in the hope that we could also share in laughter again soon.
Labels: voice of children

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home