Wednesday, November 05, 2008

You look really pretty

One of my favorite memories in my entire life is a reflection on an event that occurred four years ago, when my beloved and I were still technically "newlyweds" and our Jewel was on her way. My beloved was maybe 5 months pregnant, and despite the belly that grew with our Jewel, she still had energy and taste buds to want to go out to elegant dinners.

I figured that date nights were about to become a thing of the past for the foreseeable future, so I asked her to join me at one of our favorite French restaurants that serves a wonderful five course meal and we headed out to dine together.

I remember my beloved being particularly vibrant that night. She was glowing with life. Maybe it was because she wanted to take full advantage of one of our last nights out together, maybe she felt the excitement of being an expectant mom, or maybe she just liked being out with me (dubious). Whatever the reason, I was entranced by her presence across the table from me.

I had barely noticed that we had been seated next to another young couple that were also out on a date. I don't know if they were married or dating, but they looked to be about the same age as us. I also couldn't help but notice that they would occassionally steal glances our way. I didn't find it that unusual, since often our discussion turned to impassioned debates on theology and the Christian life, and we frequently got stares. Who are these people?

I paid them no mind. That is, until the young lady, looking over to us, looked as if she wanted to say something. We gave her our attention as she leaned over to my beloved.

"You look really pretty."

And that's it. that was all she said. But wrapped up in that simple declarative statement was wound so much for which I was to be enamored. Quite simply, the mere sight of my beloved pregnant wife was so striking to her, that should couldn't help but state it. My heart swelled with love for my wife.

"Thank-you," said my Beloved.

Thank you Lord, for bestowing on me such a masterpiece.




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home