Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Defining the Gospel

There are many verses that condense the Gospel to its essence:

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." - John 3:16

Occasionally I try to think of new ways to express this, not so much from a doctrinal perspective but from a philosophical one.


For the longest time, this was my go-to:

The Gospel is really nothing more than coming to terms with who we are, who God is, and how we are supposed to relate to each other.

Recently I have been thinking about another:

The Gospel is simply Truth followed by a promise.


I know that these do not reflect the theological complexity of such verses as John 3:16, but they are peculiar and provocative, and I enjoy thinking about the implications and degrees of depth to each.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home