Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Head's Up!

My beloved may cringe when she sees me recount this story, but recount it I must.

It was Sunday morning and we were all off to church. As we are often wont to do, since we usually run late, we were eating some breakfast in the minivan. We had some biscotti, and were breaking it up and sharing it as we rode. Also as usual, our three year old jewel immediately knew something was up because she quickly asked, "what are you DOING? What are you EATING?" We know that once she realizes that, the gig is up and we will have to share with her. So my beloved broke off a piece and tossed it back to her to eat.

(It is worth noting here that throwing accuracy is probably not in the top 10 of my beloved's list of exceptional talents)

Her first toss fell woefully short, landing on the floor of the minivan.

"Momma!" our jewel cried.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" And she quickly broke off another piece.

"Ready? Put your hands out to catch it! One, two, three!"

And the next thing I hear is...

"Ahh, you hit me in the FACE!"

Despite looking into my mirror and seeing tears start to well up in her eyes, I had to stifle a laugh and instead gasped in mock indignation, "What did you DO to her?!?" all the while giggling under my breath. But our jewel eventually got her piece and was content for the rest of the ride to church.

Fast forward two hours, and we're on our way home. Again, we're munching on some biscotti, and again our jewel asks if she can have some. My beloved breaks off a piece, turns around in her seat, and says, "Ok, get ready to catch it! One, two..."

And on that count, my jewel's little hands both shot up to instinctively cover her face.

Indeed, I did laugh.

"It's not funny."

Yes, it is.

Six hours later, I was still laughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home