Thursday, April 19, 2007

Early to Rise

Mornings seem to be becoming my only chance to see my jewel during the week. I return home too late, so if I am to see her it is because she has awoken early before I leave for work. This morning I received quite a startling moment. Unbeknownst to me, my beloved had moved my daughter into bed with us some time during the night. I never knew she was with me, as she slept soundly. As the hour approached for me to rise but still in a state of half-asleep bliss, I unfolded my left arm and stretched. When I raised my arm though, her little head popped up immediately next to me. Not sure whether I was dreaming of hallucinating, my initial response was to think that I was dreaming that I had grown a head out of my rib cage!

Immediately the prodding began - "I want food," she indicated. "No, dear, it's not time to rise. Please lay down again." To which she climbed on top of my torso, put her little head down on my chest, and fell back to sleep.

I held her close to me for another 30 minutes, until I could not delay getting up any longer. She rose with me. I got her breakfast, and she helped me get dressed. I asked her to please be quiet because momma was sleeping, and she immediately lowered her voice to a whisper. As I put my coat on, she knew that this was her last chance with me. She jumped into my arms and hugged me and kissed me. I closed our house door behind me, and I could hear her yell, "Bubyeee!"

I hope I get to share more mornings with her. 30 minutes a day isn't nearly enough, but if that's what I get, I will treasure every moment of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home