Sunday, March 04, 2007

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go

My jewel is nearing the age when it will be time to move her from her crib to a toddler bed. To get her ready, we sometimes let her take her naps in our 'adult' bed. And sometimes, if she wakes up at inopportune hours when us parents still need some sleep, we'll bring her in to sleep with us. These days I've noticed something quite amazing. If she wakes up and we still sleep, she'll just lay quietly next to us, waiting for us to awake. This afternoon, while the three of us napped together, I awoke from my sleep, but didn't open my eyes yet. I knew that if I moved at all, she, already squirming, would realize I was awake and then would explode in joy. So I cautiously, ever so slightly, opened my eye to see if she was awake. And there, staring back at me, all things covered by our blankets except her tiny face, were two wide eyes, staring back at me like eyes of an owl. She immediately broke into a broad, wide smile, and her eyes lit up. She had just laid there silently, quietly, waiting for her loving parents to wake up again so she could enjoy them. And then, she leaned over to me and kissed me, just like I would do to her when she is in bed. "Papa," she whispered. She even knew that she should be quiet while momma still slept. I simply treasure her loving spirit.

1 Comments:

Blogger finishtherace said...

thanks for letting me nap, jewel!!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home